I grew up on mushroom soup. Loved it. But as an adult I haven't given much thought to this popular childhood staple and funny thing I've never attempted to make an allergy friendly version for my kids? Not sure why. So I'm pretty excited about what I whipped up today. I had a bunch of mushrooms in the fridge on the verge of going bad (like, I'm going to forget about these puppies and I will be sad when they are old and stinky). Also in the fridge sat some left over cashew milk (used for a previous dinner). Same scenario (cashew milk was on the clock). So I said to myself: Could this work? Could I actually make a decent batch of mushroom soup (dairy free even)? By golly I did. So excited about it. And it took a whopping 10 minutes. Hello. No doubt there are many variations of dairy-free mushroom soup out there. I used what I had on hand. Sometimes things just work out.
-1/2 yellow onion, small chop
-1/2 teaspoon salt
-4-5 cups chopped crimini mushrooms (or preferred mushrooms)
-2 cups cashew milk* (see below notes for water-cashew ratio...I make a thicker milk for baking and "creamed" dishes)
-1 cup homemade stock (of choice: chicken, mushroom, veggie, etc.)
-1 1/2 teaspoons garlic granules
-Pepper for garnish or to taste
-1 tablespoon coconut oil
1. Add the oil to pot (I use a dutch oven). Add onions, salt and saute on medium heat until translucent (about 5 minutes).
2. Add mushrooms and saute until soft
3. Add garlic granules, stir
4. Add cashew milk and broth
5. Bring to a gentle simmer
6. Simmer until mixture starts to thicken, about 5 minutes
7. Remove from heat and blend with immersion blender (or any blending method of your choice)
8. Soup will thicken up even more as it cools
* For cashew milk: soak 1 cup of cashews in filtered water 4 to 6 hours. Drain, rinse, and blend with 3 cups filtered water (I use a Vitamix). Poor into glass jar and store in fridge up to 4 days.
Shared on: Wellness Weekend, Real Food Forager , Pennywise Platter, Miz Helen's Country Cottage, Melt in your Mouth Mondays, Traditional Tuesdays, The Healthy Home Economist, Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays, Just Another Meatless Monday, Ruth's Real Food: 101, Real Food Wednesdays, Gluten-Free Wednesdays, Lunch Box Love Fridays, Sunday Night Soup Night