One of my awesome readers, Erin, left the best suggestion on my homemade almond milk post: homemade walnut milk!! I make a walnut nut butter and walnut flour...why not walnut milk? Well let me tell you it's delicious, so thank you Erin. This comes at a good time for me, as almond flour and almond milk have not been agreeing with my digestion. I make this walnut milk in the same fashion as my almond milk. I use a high water-to-nut ratio compared to most recipes. I purchase organic nuts in bulk, so I try and stretch my dollar by adding in more water. I happen to adore the flavor, but it may not be for everyone, especially if you're accustomed to a thicker nut milk. Do what feels right to you and what you like. Thanks again for the great suggestion Erin!
-1 cup raw, organic walnuts
-7 cups filtered water
-1 teaspoon vanilla
1. Soak walnuts in filtered water for 8 -10 hours, or just over night.
2. When the walnuts have been properly soaked, drain and rinse with filtered water
3. To your blender add walnuts, 7 cups water, and vanilla
4. Blend on high for 90 seconds
5. Here's a step in the process that might be different from most:
6. Transfer to glass pitcher with lid and store in the fridge for up to 5 days
*If using a "regular" blender (not high-speed), start with 5 cups water and blend on high for up to 2 minutes. Add more water in future batches if you like the consistency and taste with 5 cups.
Check out this great site on: what to do with your nut pulp. There's like a zillion recipes! So awesome!!