-4 large celery root, peeled and small chop (5 to 6 pounds)
-4 tablespoons oil + 1/3 cup olive oil (must be olive oil, or another rich, creamy oil)*
-1 teaspoon + 3/4 teaspoon garlic granules
-3/4 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
-Pepper to taste
-Omit paprika if avoiding ALL nightshades
Preheat oven to 400 degrees
1. Peel and small chop the celery root. Add celery root to your favorite roasting dish (I recommend 13x9 inch pan or larger, I use a glass Pyrex), along with 4 tablespoons oil and 1 teaspoon garlic granules. Toss all ingredients well and make sure the celery root is well coated with oil. Roast in a 400 degree oven for 60 minutes* (you will want browning to occur for maximum flavor). Move the celery root around after about 25 minutes of roasting.
2. After the celery root is well roasted, allow to cool for about 10 minutes.
3. Add the roasted celery root to a food processor.* Pulse a few times to get things incorporated. With the food processor on, drizzle in the oil. Please use more if the mash is not creamy enough for you. But start with 1/3 cup.
4. After you add the oil, add in 3/4 teaspoon salt, 3/4 teaspoon garlic granules, and pepper. Blend until all the ingredients are well incorporated (see notes).
5. The mixture should be creamy, velvety and warm.
-Serve immediately. Serves 4 - 5 (depending on serving size). Top with optional paprika.
*I honestly recommend olive oil as the oil in this dish, as it adds a creamy, buttery flavor that is difficult to emulate with a light oil.
*It's important to roast the chunks until they are very tender, this will ensure it whips up in the food processor.
*I have a fairly small food processor, so I put all the roasted chunks in at first, add the oil, salt, garlic granules, and pulse until everything looks incorporated, then I take half of it out, and whip in two batches to make sure everything is smooth. If you do not roast the celery root long enough or over pack the pan, you will have a chunky mash.
Whipping it up in a food processor works really well.
I have had no success trying to do it by hand.
Shared on: Wellness Weekend, Fight Back Friday, Fresh Bites Friday, Whole Foods Friday, Gluten Free Fridays, Healthy Vegan Friday, Sweet Saturday,