A few months ago some new raw food items made an appearance at my local Natural Foods Coop. Ever hear of Coco-Roons? They are a tasty take on macaroons, incorporating almond flour with the shredded coconut. They come in a variety of flavors and are super healthy, but the price tag...ouch! So I decided to make these bad-boys at home. The turn out was amazing. I hope you enjoy making these too.
Raw Lemon Pie Macaroons
Ingredients:-2 cups shredded coconut (any brand will do, I purchase mine in the bulk section)
-1 cup almond flour (I used Bob's)
-2 teaspoons lemon zest
-2 tablespoons honey (vegans, use maple syrup or coconut nectar)
-2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
-2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
-1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
-1/4 teaspoon lemon oil (optional, or use an extra tablespoon of lemon juice)
-1/2 teaspoon salt
1. In a food processor add the 2 cups of shredded coconut. Blend for 30 seconds. Then add in the almond flour. Blend together for 10 seconds.
2. With the food processor running, add in the lemon zest, honey, coconut oil, lemon juice, salt and lemon oil (optional). Blend together for 15 seconds.
3. The mixture will feel wet and oily. That's okay.
4. Scoop out the mixture with a 1-ounce ice cream scoop and place directly on the dehydrator tray (no screens). This is the dehydrator I use.
5. Dehydrate for at least 6 hours on 110 degrees. These dry nicely on the outside (leaving no oily residue) and stay moist on the inside. Makes about 12 macaroons.